Selected Social Equity and Anti-Racism Resources for Local Governments and Communities
Municipal Actions Most Likely to Improve Social Equity
- Diversity on Boards
- Improving Public Engagement in Municipal Governing
- Integrating Health in Municipal Decision-Making
- Building Healthier Communities
- Improving Public Engagement in Planning & Zoning
- Environmental Justice in Planning & Zoning
- Brownfields Inventory & Prioritization
- Brownfields Reuse Planning
- Extreme Temperature Event Plan
- Heat Island Assessment
- Vulnerable Populations Identification
- Anti-Idling Education & Enforcement Program
- Complete & Green Streets for All Policy
- Safe Routes to Schools
- Bicycle and/or Pedestrian Improvement Projects
- Bicycle and/or Pedestrian Plan
- Make Your Town EV Friendly
- Public Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure
- Healthy Homes Inspection & Training
- Comprehensive Lead Strategy Action
- Lead and Housing Hazards Data-Sharing
- Lead Education & Outreach
- Lead Blood Screening Campaign
- Making Farmers Markets Accessible
- Community Food Pantries
- Expanded Supplemental Food Programs
- Green Jobs/Economic Development
Sustainable Jersey Research Publication
Advancing Social Equity through the Sustainable Jersey Program: Analysis and Potential
Frameworks, Toolkits, Guidebooks
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation, It's Time to Talk: How to Start Conversations about Racial Inequities
- The Aspen Institute, Ten Lessons for Taking Leadership on Equity
- Center for Social Inclusion, "Talking About Race Toolkit"
- City of Portland, "Racial Equity Toolkit"
- Community Toolbox. Justice Action Toolkit, Working Together for Racial Justice and Inclusion and other tools for community development.
- Frameworks Institute, "Mixing It Up: Reframing Neighborhood Socioeconomic Diversity"
- Lidiya Girma, "Community Engagement Planning"
- Government Alliance on Race & Equity, "Racial Equity Toolkit"
- Government Alliance on Race & Equity, "Advancing Racial Equity and Transforming Government"
- Interaction Institute for Social Change, "Illustrating Equality VS Equity"
- Multnomah County, Office of Diversity and Equity, "Social Determinants Framework"
- PolicyLink, All-in Cities Policy Toolkit
- PolicyLink, "Equity: The Soul of Collective Impact"
- The Praxis Project [capacity building for social change]. "Developing an Equity Impact Statement, A Tool for Policy Making"
- Seattle Race and Social Justice Initiative, "Racial Equity Toolkit"
- Sustainable CT. Sustainable CT Equity Toolkit.
- University of Southern California, Program for Environmental and Regional Equity, "Diversity and Inclusion for the 21st Century Economy: An Imperative for Chambers of Commerce"
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation, "Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation Implementation Guidebook"
- Banaji, M. and A. Greenwald. 2013. Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People. Delacorte Press
- Kahneman, D. 2011. Thinking, Fast and Slow. Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Khan, J. 2017. Race on the Brain: What Implicit Bias gets Wrong About the Struggle for Racial Justice. Columbia University Press.
- Kendi, I. 2019. How To Be An Antiracist. One World.
- Rothstein, Richard. 2017. The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America. New York; London: Liveright Publishing.
Videos & Documentaries
- How to Outsmart Your Unconscious Bias. Valerie Alexander at TEDxPasadena
- We All Have Implicit Biases. So What Can We Do About It? Dushaw Hockett at TEDx MidAtlantic Salon
- When They See Us. Ava DuVernay, director. Netflix
- Coded Bias. Shalini Kantayya, director. Netflix