Are you passionate about sustainability?
Our mission is to empower New Jersey communities to build a better world for future generations with the tools, training and financial incentives necessary to pursue critical sustainability initiatives. As an organization, Sustainable Jersey is in the unique position to be a connecting force between local communities and public, private, and governmental entities. If you share an interest in sustainability issues then the next step in your career may be employment at Sustainable Jersey. At Sustainable Jersey, you will make more than a living, you will make a difference.
The Sustainable Jersey certification programs are managed by the Sustainability Institute at The College of New Jersey. Our vision includes striving to be more equitable, more inclusive and better prepared to the work of advancing sustainability and social justice while supporting municipalities and schools in New Jersey to do the same.
Sustainable Jersey is a fast-growing network of over 600 communities and schools working together to solve key sustainability problems. The mission of the organization is to "make a better tomorrow, one community at a time." Recognized as a national model, this is done through a revolutionary bottom-up meets top-down collaborative process to set standards, develop guidance, provide assistance, and coordinate resources for community sustainability efforts. The focal point of the organization is a municipal and school certification program for sustainability that combines clear standards for action, robust guidance and implementation support, and a suite of incentives.
The program is a novel model of collective decision making that brings local governments into direct collaboration with their communities and a statewide movement of public and private supporters. The organization fundraises and gives out roughly $1 million in grants annually, holds 50 training and outreach events, conducts research on new best practices, and collaborates with dozens of public and private partners to provide resources to communities. Through our grassroots network of hundreds of “Green Teams” around the state and a score of high-level issue-area Task Forces, Sustainable Jersey recruits diverse partners to support communities in taking meaningful local action.
About the Position
The Director of Development leads the development and fundraising efforts for the organization. This includes a corporate sponsorship program and government and philanthropic foundation grant prospecting, proposal development, and submission. Reporting to the Executive Director, and working in a team environment with senior staff, subject matter experts, and the Board of Trustees, the Development Director has a leadership role in a creative and diverse development operation. The new Development Director will inherit a successful established operation and base of supporters, but in a dynamic and growing organization. The position will play a key role in attracting and maintaining corporate sponsorships; identifying and applying for philanthropic and government grants; planning and implementing major events; and building relationships with current and future supporters. The position will also be expected to shape the future direction of the development operation including researching untapped areas.
Candidates with diverse levels of experience will be considered and salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Providing leadership and direction for the organization’s development program with focus on corporate and foundation relations, event management, grant writing, and major gifts
- Managing a corporate sponsorship program including prospecting, pitching, fulfillment, and relationship management
- Supporting the production of grant applications including researching, submitting letters of intent, responding to RFP’s and completing applications
- Supporting the Board of Trustees’ Development Committee
- Interfacing with the Board of Trustees on Development activities and wider Board initiatives
- Planning and executing fundraising and other events highlighting program supporters
- Building relationships with a variety of partners, sponsors, and board members
- Creating organizational collateral that supports development including annual report, sponsorship materials, and other materials
- Contributing to the development and management of our brand identity and external messaging
- Collaborating with the senior staff and Board leadership team on a diverse set of issues that relate to development including messaging strategy, annual events calendar, and crisis management
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience with development, communications, marketing, or other similar relevant background
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn about, critical sustainability issues and public affairs
- Ability to learn about our programs and speak confidently and persuasively about them
- Ability to represent the organization in various professional and corporate settings
- Experience in the nonprofit sector with focus on advancement of organization mission and capacity
- Ability to write persuasive and informative correspondence and development related collateral
- Sales-oriented personality: attentive, persistent, and flexible
- Strong interest and ability to build corporate relationships
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow-through and manage a team and operations
- Self-starter, ability to succeed with a largely self-directed workday
- Ability to work well in a team setting and with a diverse range of people
- Ability to learn and use basic spreadsheets, database software, and web-based collaboration and communication tools effectively
- Capable of creating and organizing events
- A passion for our mission and a belief that our efforts can make New Jersey and the world more sustainable
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.