Sustainable Communities Partnership Program
Need help completing Sustainable Jersey actions?
Sustainable Jersey is teaming up with the PSEG Institute for Sustainability Studies (PSEG ISS) at Montclair State University (MSU) to match upper-level students with Sustainable Jersey participating municipalities in need of help to complete specific Sustainable Jersey actions. This pilot program is a chance for students to take part in a valuable, experiential learning opportunity while simultaneously helping to municipalities to achieve Sustainable Jersey certification.
Here is how it works:
- Municipal green teams identify specific actions they would like to pursue.
- Based on the action(s), a student with related coursework and/or experience will be assigned to the municipality.
- Depending upon their program of study, the student commits to approximately 80 - 100 hours of time in the February - April 2022 timeframe to make progress on the action(s) under the guidance of their instructor and an assigned municipal contact.
This is a great opportunity to target priority actions or others that require research, data collection/analysis, and marketing skills. For example:
- Diversity on Boards & Commissions
- Fleet Inventory
- Green Business Recognition Program
- Municipal Carbon Footprint
- Recycling and Waste Reduction Education & Compliance
Other potential actions include but are NOT LIMITED to:
- Wildlife Interaction Plan
- Creative Assets Inventory
- Brownfields Inventory & Prioritization
- Green Challenges
- Heat Island Assessment
- Lead Blood Screening Campaign
- Private Well Outreach Testing
- Support Local Businesses
- Community Asset Mapping
Virtual Information Session
Sustainable Jersey and PSEG ISS staff will provide an overview of this unique opportunity and answer questions during a virtual information session on Tuesday, January 18 from 12:00pm - 1:00pm.
Ready to request help now? Submit your request by completing a short application form by January 31, 2022.
PSEG ISS will begin matching students to municipal requests as they are received. Every effort will be made to fulfill all requests. However, placement is not guaranteed and will depend on the number of requests, actions selected, and student availability.
For questions regarding how a student might benefit your municipality, please contact the PSEG ISS Program Coordinator, Tirzah Mills, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding Sustainable Jersey-related actions, please contact Sustainable Jersey at email@example.com.