To be eligible to apply for a grant in this cycle, the following requirements must be met:
- The applicant must be a New Jersey municipality.
- The applicant must be registered or certified in the Sustainable Jersey program. View Sustainable Jersey participation status here.
- The municipality must have appointed a green team that meets the Green Team action standard.
- Funding may be passed through to a non-profit, partner organization, or contractor, but the municipality must be the applicant and will be responsible for the reporting requirements. Checks will be made payable to the municipality and sent to its fiscal agent.
Can I Apply for More than One Grant?
- Municipalities are eligible to apply for one large grant ($20,000 or $10,000) AND/OR one $2,000 grant.
- If applying for both grants, the large grant proposal will be considered first. If the large grant proposal is selected for funding, the $2,000 proposal will no longer be considered.
- If the large grant proposal is not selected for funding, the $2,000 proposal will be considered.
Due to the limited number of large grants, applying for both a large and $2,000 grant is a good strategy to optimize the chances of receiving a grant.
Previous Grant Recipients
If you received a Sustainable Jersey grant in program year 2021 or earlier, refer to the chart below to determine if you are eligible to apply. Contact Kaitlyn Vollmer at email@example.com or 609-771-3189 if you have questions about your eligibility.
+ A grant is closed when the final report is submitted and approved by Sustainable Jersey
* Applications are due on Oct 31 but are not awarded until January of the following year
NOTE: Grants awarded through the Sustainable Communities Grant Program funded by ACE do not affect a municipality's eligibility to apply for Sustainable Jersey grants.
The funding supports efforts to implement projects that help municipalities gain points needed for Sustainable Jersey certification and make progress toward a sustainable future. The funded projects serve as practical and innovative models for the rest of the State and make measurable contributions toward the long-term goal of a sustainable New Jersey. Besides funding projects, $2,000 grants can also be used for general green team support such as outreach efforts and capacity-building.
Milkweed for Monarchs
2017 PSEG 2k Grant
Need Help Thinking of a Project?
Due to funding available through incentive programs offered by utility companies for energy audits and energy efficiency projects (i.e. lighting, furnaces, etc.), these activities are NOT eligible for funding in this cycle. Additional ineligible projects include:
- Electric vehicle (EV) charging station installation projects
- Purchase of EVs (except for Class 4-8 medium and heavy-duty vehicles)
View Attachment 1 of the Application Information Packet for a list of additional funding resources for energy-related projects.
Eligible grant expenses include:
- Staff stipends Consultant or contractor service fees (e.g., for content expertise, marketing, and/or technology)
- Equipment Training and educational materials or related expenses
- Project supplies
- Promotional items
- These items should not comprise of more then 10% of the proposed grant budget. Promotional items include "give-aways" such as refillable water bottles, t-shirts, bags, etc., and incentives or awards such as prizes, gift cards, refreshments, etc.
Matching or in-kind contributions are encouraged, but not required.
- Must be used to fund all or part of a project that will earn points for an action in the Sustainable Jersey program.
- The project should leverage partnerships with community resources and include an outreach component focused on promoting community awareness of the project.
- Can be used for general green team expenses or for a specific project that will contribute to earning points for an action in the Sustainable Jersey program.
- Facilities and administrative (overhead) costs.
- Reimbursement for a project underway or already completed. Efforts to be funded by the grant should not start until after the grant announcement event in early May.