2022 Certification Application Cycle
Sustainable Jersey operates on a once a year submission cycle, with an initial certification application submission deadline. Only those applicants that submit by the initial deadline will be considered for certification that year. See the chart below for details on the structure and timing of the application cycle.
Note: Any actions that are marked approved and expire after the initial submission deadline do not need to be updated in your application. Once the application is submitted, these actions will be set to expire at the end of the year.
|First Round||Second Round||Third Round|
|Submission Deadline||May 22||August 28*||Nov. 20|
*Sustainable Jersey Annual Awards including the Sustainability Champions will be based on the point totals achieved following the second round of review.
|Timeline & Submission/Resubmission Requirements|
Application Submission Deadline
- The application must have actions totaling a minimum of 150 points marked “Completed” to be submitted. Review the Certification Overview page on the Sustainable Jersey website for more information on certification requirements.
- Action requirements do not have to be completed until the November final application deadline. To be recognized at the Sustainable Jersey Annual Luncheon during the NJLM conference, all action requirements must be completed by August 28*.
First Round Review Comments Provided
- Each action will be marked as “Approved” or “Must Revise” and comments will be provided.
- If the application includes actions marked as “Must Revise” the municipality has the opportunity to complete required activities and/or documentation in order to receive credit for these actions.
First Resubmission Deadline
- Revisions to applications that include “Must Revise” actions and new action submissions must be submitted by this date in order to be considered for certification and recognized at the Sustainable Jersey Annual Luncheon to be held at the 2022 NJLM Annual Conference in November.
Second Round Review Comments Provided
- All municipalities that have met the certification requirements will be certified at the Bronze or Silver level based on the accumulated point total and considered for the Sustainable Jersey annual awards. For those certified in this round, each action submitted will be marked as “Approved”, or “Must Revise,” and comments will be provided.
- Certified communities and annual award winners will be recognized at the Sustainable Jersey Annual Luncheon to be held at the 2022 NJLM Conference in November.
- For both municipalities that have and have not achieved certification there will be one final opportunity to complete actions marked as “Must Revise” to attain certification or increase a municipality’s certified level and/or point total.
Final Application Submission Deadline
- This is the final opportunity for municipalities that submitted in May to resubmit outstanding actions.
Final Decision on Pending Applications
- Each action will be marked as “Approved” or “Not Approved” and comments will be provided.
- Final determination will be made on whether the municipality has been awarded enough points to achieve Bronze or Silver certification. Municipalities certified on this date will be recognized at the 2023 Sustainable Jersey Annual Luncheon during the NJLM Conference.
- Municipalities that do not receive certification can reapply in 2023. Actions that were approved during the 2022 cycle and have not expired by the 2023 submission deadline will automatically be counted as part of the 2023 application submission.