We are pleased to announce that The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is partnering with Sustainable Jersey to offer a Roots for Rivers Reforestation Grant and Technical Assistance Program. The program will support municipal or school district efforts to undertake their own floodplain reforestation initiative on public or private land (with written permission from the landowner). Program participants will receive technical assistance to design restoration projects and funding to cover the material costs of floodplain reforestation. Projects costing between $1,000 and $20,000 are eligible.
Online Application Deadline: Friday, March 16, 2018 at 11:59pm
NOTE: All applications must be submitted using the online application portal via the link above. You must create an account on the portal to access the application. This account is different from the account used to access your certification application.
Recipient Announcement Date: March 23, 2018
- A meeting will be held the week of April 1 to assist program participants in developing their implementation plans.
An informational webinar will be held Thursday, February 22, from 1:30pm to 2:30pm to learn about why floodplain reforestation is important and what's involved; how to select a site and develop a plan; the technical assistance funding available; and how to apply to be part of the program.
To be eligible to participate in this program, an applicant must:
- Be a New Jersey municipal government or school district. Funding may be passed through to a non-profit, partner organization, or contractor, but the municipality or school district must be the applicant and will be responsible for the reporting requirements. Checks will be made payable to the municipality or school district and sent to its fiscal agent.
- Be registered or certified with Sustainable Jersey or Sustainable Jersey for Schools certification program AND have an active green team.
- Use the funding to implement a floodplain reforestation initiative.
- NOTE: This grant & technical assistance opportunity is NOT considered part of the Sustainable Jersey Grants Program. If you currently have an open grant from the grants program, you are still eligible to apply for this opportunity.
- Projects costing between $1,000 and $20,000 are eligible
- Eligible expenses include materials (trees and protection) associated with planting. The labor associated with planting the trees is the responsibility of the applicant. This can be accomplished through the use of volunteers, employees, or a contractor paid for by the applicant.
Applications will be screened using the following criteria:
- Strength of the action plan
- Likelihood of success as demonstrated by accessibility to resources that will assist with site preparation, planting, and maintenance