$20,000 or $10,000 Applications
A Blue Ribbon Selection Committee will evaluate each application based on the selection criteria below.
- The description concisely summarizes the specific project to be funded by the grant award and explains how it will address a need within the town
- The proposed project will contribute toward the successful completion of a Sustainable Jersey action
Project Team Members
- The designated project team appears qualified to undertake the proposed project
- The project team includes representation from community stakeholder groups that will be involved in or impacted by the implementation of the proposed project
Action Plan & Timeline
- The proposed project action plan addresses the steps needed to successfully complete the project
- Target completion dates are realistic and will enable the project to be completed within the 18-month performance period (starting April 2019)
- The proposed project will capitalize on collaborations between community- based organizations (i.e., county agencies, civic or community-based organizations, non-profits, the school district, professional organizations and local businesses)
- The Action Plan includes efforts to share the success of the project with the wider community (i.e. ribbon-cutting ceremony, presentations, articles, etc.)
Impact on the Community
- The project will augment existing green team efforts and/or be a catalyst to advance sustainability efforts in the community
- Who will benefit from the proposed project and how is clearly articulated
- The Budget Narrative clearly summarizes project expenses and identifies all the sources of funding needed to complete the proposed project, including in-kind contributions such as volunteer hours
- The project leverages no or low cost resources to cost-effectively complete the proposed project
- The detailed project budget is consistent with the Budget Narrative and clearly identifies the eligible project expenses that will be billed to the grant
- The budget is realistic, costs are justified and resource contributions, including in-kind, have a reasonable value
- Promotional items including “give-aways” (i.e. T-shirts, water bottles), meeting supplies, incentives or awards do not exceed $1,000.
Approximately 50% of the grant funds will be reserved for certified municipalities. Sustainable Jersey reserves the right to reallocate the funding based on the quality and quantity of grant applications received in a given funding cycle. The review process will also consider the regional distribution of grants throughout the state.
Grant proposals will be screened using the following criteria:
- The clarity of the project description
- Strength of the action plan that will guide the green team’s activities
- Budget includes only eligible and reasonable expenses
- The demonstrated commitment of the green team and municipality to move forward with sustainability efforts
A municipality may apply for a $2,000 grant AND a $20,000 or $10,000 project grant. The larger grant will be considered first. If the larger grant proposal is not funded, the $2,000 proposal will then be considered. If the larger grant is awarded, the municipality will no longer be eligible to receive the $2,000 grant.
Approximately 50% of the grant funds will be reserved for certified municipalities. Sustainable Jersey reserves the right to reallocate the funding based on the quality and quantity of grant applications received in a given funding cycle. The review process will also consider the regional distribution of grants throughout the state. Priority will be given to municipalities that have not previously received a Sustainable Jersey grant.